The Churches of Old Tallinn

When approaching Tallinn, Estonia, one cannot help but be awed by the sight of this old fortified city, with church steeples towering overhead. The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is Tallinn’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral. St. Nicholas’s Church was built by merchants from the island of Gotland in the 13th century and is used today as a museum and concert hall. St. Olav’s Church was, from 1549 to 1625, the tallest building in the world and is currently used as a Baptist church.

Approaching Tallinn

Approaching Tallinn

SOURCE: Approaching Tallinn (Tallinn, Estonia). Photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 30 Jul 2010.

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

SOURCE: Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (Tallinn, Estonia). Photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 30 Jul 2010.

St. Nicholas' Church

St. Nicholas’s Church

SOURCE: St. Nicholas’s Church (Tallinn, Estonia). Photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 30 Jul 2010.

St. Olav's Church

St. Olav’s Church

SOURCE: St. Olav’s Church (Tallinn, Estonia). Photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 30 Jul 2010.

Copyright © 2010 by Stephen J. Danko

This entry was posted in Daily Journal and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.