My grandmother’s half-brother, Joseph Meleski was listed in the Worcester, Massachusetts Directory in 1924. In addition to Joseph and his children Harry, Francis, and Helen, there are listed several other Meleskis, including a Walter Meleski who was in business with my grandfather Kostanty Niedzialkowski in a grocery store known as Meleski & Niedzialkoski.
Worcester, Massachusetts Directory 1924 Entry for Joseph Meleski & Walter Meleski
SOURCE: Massachusetts City Directories, Worcester 1924, page 527, Joseph Meleski & Walter Meleski; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 23 December 2007); citing Worcester directory 1924 containing a general directory of the citizens, a business directory, and the city and county registers,
with map. LXXXI. 1924. Worcester, MA: Sampson & Murdock Co.
Click on the link for a PDF copy of the Worcester, Massachusetts Directory 1924 Entry for Joseph Meleski & Walter Meleski. The records state the following:
- Francis J Meleski was an engineer who resided at 130 Endicott;
- Harry J Meleski was a lawyer at 507 Main, Room 1011, who resided at 130 Endicott;
- Helen Meleski was a student who resided at 130 Endicott;
- John Meleski was a wireworker who resided at 112 Ward;
- Joseph Meleski was a cement finisher who resided at 130 Endicott;
- Walter Meleski was a member of the firm Meleski & Niedzialkoski located at 194 Prescott, also was a grocer at his own store at 53 Ward, and resided at 112 Ward;
- Witold P Meleski resided at 952 Pleasant;
- Meleski & Niedzialkoski was owned by Walter Meleski and Konstanty Niedzialkoski who were grocers at 194 Prescott.
This entry clears up the owners of my grandfather’s grocery store. I don’t know who Walter Meleski was, but he was living with John Meleski at 112 Ward. Except for Witold P Meleski, all the other Meleskis are related to my grandmother, Helen Chmielewski (Chmielewski was shortened to Meleski).
Joseph Meleski is my grandmother’s half-brother. Francis J, Harry J, and Helen Meleski are three of Joseph’s five children.
Copyright © 2007 by Stephen J. Danko