The Ara Pacis Augustae in Rome

The Ara Pacis Augustae in Rome, Italy is an altar to peace was consecrated in 9 BC to celebrate the return of Emperor Augustus from Hispania and Gaul.  The detailed sculptures depict scenes of piety and reverence as well as long processions of Romans celebrating the Augustan Peace.

The Ara Pacis Augustae was rediscovered in 1568 but was not completely excavated and reconstructed until the 20th century.  The structure has been surrounded by a modern building which, in addition to the Ara Pacis Augustae, contains a number of other works of art, both ancient and modern.

Ara Pacis Augustae - Exterior

Ara Pacis Augustae – Exterior

SOURCE:  Ara Pacis Augustae – Exterior (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 11 August 2011.

Busts of Notable Romans

Busts of Notable Romans

SOURCE:  Busts of Notable Romans (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 11 August 2011.

Ara Pacis Augustae - West Wall

Ara Pacis Augustae – West Wall

SOURCE:  Ara Pacis Augustae - West Wall (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 11 August 2011.

Ara Pacis Augustae - East Wall

Ara Pacis Augustae – East Wall

SOURCE:  Ara Pacis Augustae - East Wall (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 11 August 2011.

Copyright © 2011 by Stephen J. Danko

This entry was posted in Daily Journal and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.