More from the Cathedral of Saint Andrew in Amalfi, Campania, Italy

The Cathedral of Saint Andrew in Amalfi Italy gets its name from the Apostle Saint Andrew whose relics reside here.  Most of the relics were brought to Amalfi by Cardinal Peter of Capua in 1208 after the Siege of Constantinople.  The relics of Saint Andrew are entombed in the cathedral’s crypt.  The sarcophagus of Cardinal Peter of Capua serves as the main altar of the cathedral.  Over the bronze doors at the entrance to the cathedral are representations of Saint Andrew and the Blessed Virgin.

Cardinal Peter of Capua

Cardinal Peter of Capua

SOURCE:  Cardinal Peter of Capua (Amalfi, Campania, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 08 August 2011.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria

SOURCE:  Ave Maria (Amalfi, Campania, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 08 August 2011.

Saint Andrew

Saint Andrew

SOURCE:  Saint Andrew (Amalfi, Campania, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 08 August 2011.

The Author on the Portico of the Cathedral

The Author on the Portico of the Cathedral

SOURCE:  The Author on the Portico of the Cathedral (Amalfi, Campania, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 08 August 2011.

Copyright © 2011 by Stephen J. Danko

This entry was posted in Daily Journal and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.