Toompea Castle and Tallinn Fortifications

Toompea Castle is the seat of the Parliament of the Republic of Estonia (the Riigikogu). Immediately to the south and adjacent toToompea Castle is the Kuberneriaed (Governor’s Garden). Toompea Castle includes both older and newer construction. The older structure on the west side was part of the medieval fortress of the Order of the Brothers of the Sword and includes the Tall Hermann Tower (Pikka Hermanni Torn). The Estonian flag flies above the Tall Hermann Tower, with blue for the sky, black for the soil, and white for hard work and a bright future. Newer additions to Toompea Castle include the east wing which was built on order of Russian Empress Catherine the Great and completed in 1773.  The south wing was completed in 1935. Other fortifications, 60% of them original, can also be seen in Tallinn.

The South Wing of Toompea Castle and the Tall Hermann Tower

The South Wing of Toompea Castle and the Tall Hermann Tower

SOURCE: The South Wing of Toompea Castle and the Tall Hermann Tower (Tallinn, Estonia). Photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 30 Jul 2010.

The East Wing of Toompea Castle

The East Wing of Toompea Castle

SOURCE: The East Wing of Toompea Castle (Tallinn, Estonia). Photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 30 Jul 2010.

Tallinn Fortifications

Tallinn Fortifications

SOURCE: Tallinn Fortifications (Tallinn, Estonia). Photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 30 Jul 2010.

Tower in Tallinn

Kiek in de Koek

SOURCE: Kiek in de Koek (Tallinn, Estonia). Photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 30 Jul 2010.

Copyright © 2010 by Stephen J. Danko

This entry was posted in Daily Journal and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.