I’m getting ready for my annual fall research trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. I’ll spend two full days at the library with nothing to distract me.
I have two major goals this trip:
1. Niedziałkowski Family Records: review the microfilms for the Krasne and Szwelice parish records that document the church records for my Niedziałkowski ancestors. I intend to better document the records I already have so that I can properly cite my sources. I also intend to look for additional records for the siblings of my ancestors.
2. Skowroński Family Records: look for the ancestral village of my Skowroński relatives. I previously reported that I found 12 villages named Grądy in the Łomża Gubernia. I intend to examine as many records as I can find to try to find the ancestral village of Aleksander Skowroński, the immigrant ancestor of several of my first cousins.
I found that the Family History Library holds microfilm records for the following relevant parishes: Długosiodło, Jelonki, Wąsewo, Krasnosiek, Lubiel, Rajgród, Nowogród, Wąsosz, Wiskitki, Wizna, and Wyszków. The Family History Library does not have microfilmed records for Rzekuń or Nowa wieś.
Because some of these films are in the vault, I called the Family History Library to order the vault films so that they will have them available while I’m in Salt Lake City.
I also have several minor goals:
1. Examine the marriage indexes and the Marriage Records for the Graig and Hillis families of Otsego County, New York. Dick Eastman recently reported that the Family History Library has microfilm copies of many New York State Marriage Records from 1908 to 1935. I didn’t know that!
The Graigs and the Hillis’ are the ancestors of my sister’s husband, and I have been working on these family lines for the past few years. The Family History Library holds the Otsego County Index to Marriages from 1908 to 1935, Marriage Licenses, Consents, and Affidavits from 1908 to 1915, and Marriage Records from 1908 to 1926. I think I should be able to find marriage documents for anywhere from six to twelve of the Graig and Hillis marriages.
2. Examine the typescript death records (index?) for Schoharie and Otsego Counties 1918-1953 for Graig and Hillis names.
3. Review the information I have for the Markiewicz family from Braciejowice to verify the source citations in the documents I previously discovered.
4. Examine the records of the Orthodox Church in Troki (Trakai), Lithuania to see if this might be the parish in which my mother’s mother lived. I had to order vault films for this parish.
That’s a lot of ground to cover in two days!
Copyright © 2016 by Stephen J. Danko