Back in October, Gayl Dandurand sent me an email to tell me about the Naturalization Index available through the Albany County, New York Hall of Records. The naturalization records indexed on this site are only for Albany County, New York, but I’ve been able to find several records of interest listed there.
I’ve only begun to search the index, but I’ve so far found the following relatives in the Albany County Naturalization Index:
- My paternal Uncle: John Danko from Austria-Poland, resident of Albany, naturalized 02 Feb 1932, petition number 7693;
- The husband of my Stepmother’s Aunt Maryanna Halaszyn: Mikolaj Priznar from Austria-Poland, resident of Cohoes, naturalized 04 Jan 1929, petition number 6438;
- My step-grandmother, Tekla Halaszyn: Tesi Walkama from Poland, resident of Albany, naturalized 30 Nov 1945, petition number 12796;
- My cousin Christopher’s 3rd Great Grandfather: George Lather from Germany, resident of Albany, naturalized 03 Oct 1872, book 22;
- My stepmother’s cousin’s Father-in-Law: Frank Siracusa from Italy, resident of Albany, naturalized 28 Sep 1926, petition number 5024.
In addition to the naturalization index, the Hall of Records also houses historical information on a number of subjects as part of their Special Collections, including the Aurania Club which was located across the street from the house in which I grew up, and the Vincentian Institute, the school I attended from Kindergarten through 12th grade.
The Hall of Records also provides online images of Deeds and Mortgages since 1980, although it appears that only the first page of these documents is available online.
Other records in the Hall of Records include Marriages for the City of Albany from 1870-1946, City and County Census Records for 1855, 1860, 1865, 1870, 1875, 1880, 1892, 1905, 1915, and 1925, and Albany City Directories from 1830-1994.
It looks like the next time I’m in Albany I should stop by the Hall of Records.
Copyright © 2008 by Stephen J. Danko