Thian Hock Keng Temple in Singapore – 1

Thian Hock Keng Temple in Singapore was originally built in 1821-1822 in honor of Mazu, the goddess of the sea.  The structure was rebuilt in 1839-1842 using traditional methods.  No nails are used in the building.

Near the entrance two stone lions (often called Fu Dogs in the West) stand guard.  To the left and right of the main shrine are courtyards, each with a pot containing sand in which worshippers place sticks of incense.

The main shrine in the temple is dedicated to the Queen of Heaven.  Photography was not permitted in the main shrine.

Thian Hock Keng Temple

Thian Hock Keng Temple

SOURCE:  Thian Hock Keng Temple (Singapore, Singapore); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 29 March 2013.

Guardian Lion

Guardian Lion

SOURCE:  Guardian Lion (Singapore, Singapore); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 29 March 2013.

Incense Pot 1

Incense Pot -1

SOURCE:  Incense Pot -1 (Singapore, Singapore); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 29 March 2013.

Incense Pot 2

Incense Pot -2

SOURCE:  Incense Pot -2 (Singapore, Singapore); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 29 March 2013.

Copyright © 2013 by Stephen J. Danko

This entry was posted in Daily Journal and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.