My Meleski (Chmielewski) cousins were listed in the 1940 edition of Polk’s Worcester (Worcester County, Mass) City Directory. Rita A. Meleski, Francis J. Meleski, and Harry J. Meleski are the children of my maternal grandmother’s half-brother, Joseph Chmielewski. Stephanie B. Meleski is the half-sister of my maternal grandmother.
1940 Worcester City Directory Entry for the Meleski Families
SOURCE: Massachusetts City Directories, Worcester 1940, p. 659, Meleski Families; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 26 February 2012); citing Polk’s Worcester (Worcester County, Mass.) City Directory Vol. 1940 XCVII, Boston MA: R. L. Polk & Co.
Click on the link for a PDF copy of the 1940 Worcester City Directory Entry for the Meleski Families. The brief record states the following:
- Rita A. Meleski was a social case worker for the Board of Public Welfare and resided at 36 Clifton St
- Francis J. Meleski, husband of Evelyn M., was an eng (engineer) in charge of the city incinerator in Albany near Casco and resided at 120 Endicott St
- Harry J. Meleski was a lawyer at 390 Main rm (room) 640 and was head of household at 139 Endicott St
- Stephanie B. Meleski was head of household at 15 Charlton
- The other Meleski’s named in this entry are, as far as I know, not related to me
Using Steve Morse’s One-Step Webpages, I learned that Rita A. Meleski’s residence at 36 Clifton St, Worcester, Worcester Co., Massachusetts was located in enumeration district 23-175 in the 1940 United States Federal Census. I also learned that the residence of Francis J. Meleski and Harry J. Meleski at 139 Endicott St in Worcester, Worcester Co., Massachusetts was located in enumeration district 23-126 in the 1940 United States Federal Census. Finally, Stephanie B. Meleski’s residence at 15 Charlton was located in enumeration district 23-181 in the 1940 United States Federal Census.
Copyright © 2012 by Stephen J. Danko