Chapels of the Basilica of Saint Mary Above Minerva in Rome

The Basilica of Saint Mary Above Minerva, like many Catholic Churches, contains a number of chapels and altars.  In fact, the Basilica of Saint Mary Above Minerva includes at least 22 chapels and altars.

The Chapel of St. Pius V includes an altarpiece painted by Andrea Procaccini (1671-1734) that shows Pius V raising the crucifix at the Turkish defeat.  The body of Pius V is entombed below the altar.

The Chapel of the Annunciation was constructed in 1637 by the Confraternity of the Annunciation.  Its centerpiece is a painting of the Annunciation, flanked by paintings of Saint Dominic and Saint Hyacinth.

The Lante della Rovere Chapel includes an altarpiece depicting St. Thomas the Greater presumably painted by Marcello Venusti.  The chapel has memorials to Maria Colonna-Lante, Giulio Lante della Rovere, and their daughter Carlotta.

The Carafa Chapel was constructed between 1489 and 1492 by Cardinal Oliviero Carafa in honor of St. Thomas Aquinas.  The altarpiece shows St. Thomas Aquinas presenting Cardinal Carafa to the Virgin at the moment of the Annunciation.  Disciples of St. Thomas Aquinas appear to the sides.

The Chapel of the Sacred Heart was built in around 1577 in honor of the Resurrection of the Lord.  The altarpiece, showing the Sacred Heart flanked by St. Catherine of Siena and St. Margaret Mary Alacoque was painted in 1922 by Mezzana Conrad.

The Chapel of St. Pius V

The Chapel of St. Pius V

SOURCE:  The Chapel of St. Pius V (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 12 August 2011.

The Chapel of the Annunciation

The Chapel of the Annunciation

SOURCE:  The Chapel of the Annunciation (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 12 August 2011.

The Lante della Rovere Chapel

The Lante della Rovere Chapel

SOURCE:  The Lante della Rovere Chapel (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 12 August 2011.

The Carafa Chapel

The Carafa Chapel

SOURCE:  The Carafa Chapel (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 12 August 2011.

The Chapel of the Sacred Heart

The Chapel of the Sacred Heart

SOURCE:  The Chapel of the Sacred Heart (Rome, Lazio, Italy); photographed by Stephen J. Danko on 12 August 2011.

Copyright © 2011 by Stephen J. Danko

This entry was posted in Daily Journal and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.