Statia Danko, daughter of Michał Dańko and Marianna Dziurzyńska, was born on 13 May 1910 in Worcester, Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA. Her birth was recorded in a ledger for the city of Worcester.
The Birth Record of Statia Danko – 1910
SOURCE: “Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911-1915,” digital images, American Ancestors (http://www.americanancestors.org : accessed 14 June 2011), Birth of Stanislaus Dainko, vol. 592, page 494, no. 858, Worcester, Massachusetts, 15 April 1910; citing Vital Records: 1841-1915, Massachusetts State Archives, Boston, Massachusetts.
The image above is a composite image from the ledger, cropped to emphasize the information for this child. Click on the link for a PDF copy of the birth record of Statia Danko. The ledger states:
- Statia Danko’s birth is recorded as Vol. 592, Page 494, No. 858 in the ledger for the city of Worcester,
- Her name was recorded as Stanislaus Dainko [Stanislawa Danko], a male [female] child born in Worcester,
- She was born on 15 April 1910 [13 May 1910], and her birth was recorded in January 1911,
- Her father was Michael Dainko [Michał Dańko], a wireworker from Austria residing in Worcester,
- Her mother was Mary Gereska [Marianna Dziurzyńska] from Austria, residing in Worcester.
The names in this record are badly misspelled, but misspellings are typical in Massachusetts vital records from this time period. In addition, this child’s sex was incorrectly recorded as male. To make matters worse, the birthdate of 15 April 1910 disagrees with Statia’s entry in the Social Security Death Index which lists her birth on 13 May 1910, Statia’s Application for a Social Security Account Number (Form SS-5) which lists her birth as 17 May 1910, and Statia’s marriage license which lists her birth as 26 October 1915!
Statia’s birth record was corrected on 29 December 1943. In the corrected record (Reg. No. 856, Vol. 402, Page 535), she was listed as Stanislava Danko, daughter of Michael Danko and Mary Dziurznska, and her date of birth was recorded as 13 May 1910.
Copyright © 2011 by Stephen J. Danko