Edward Skowronski, son of Aleksander Skowronski and Franciszka Dymek, was born on 20 August 1912 in Worcester, Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA. His birth was recorded in a ledger for the city of Worcester where his name is spelled Edward Soboroski. The name was corrected, but it is not apparent what the correction is.
The Birth Record of Edward Skowronski – 1912
SOURCE: “Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911-1915,” digital images, American Ancestors (http://www.americanancestors.org : accessed 03 June 2011), Birth of Edward Soboroski, vol. 608, page 548, no. 3775, Worcester, Massachusetts, 20 August 1912; citing Vital Records: 1841-1915, Massachusetts State Archives, Boston, Massachusetts.
The image above is a composite image from the ledger, cropped to emphasize the information for this child. Click on the link for a PDF copy of the birth record of Edward Skowronski. The ledger states:
- Edward Skowronski’s birth is recorded as No. 3775 in the ledger for the city of Worcester,
- His name was initially recorded as Edward Soboroski, a male child born in Worcester,
- He was born on 20 August 1912 and his birth was recorded in January 1913,
- His name was corrected but the correction is not apparent in the record,
- His father was Aleksandra Soboroski [Aleksander Skowronski], a moulder from Russia Poland residing in Worcester,
- His mother was Franciska Dimek [Franciszka Dymek] from Russia Poland, residing in Worcester.
The names in this record are badly misspelled, but misspellings are typical in Massachusetts vital records from this time period. The reason the surname was recorded as Soboroski is that this was Aleksander’s stepfather’s surname. At some point, Aleksander changed his surname back to that of his natural father: Skowronski.
Copyright © 2011 by Stephen J. Danko