I am attempting to document the events in my ancestors’ lives with place names that were accurate at the time of the event. Such an approach has several advantages over using current place names, including the fact that the historical place names help to provide a historical context for my ancestors’ lives.
The Przemyśl Powiat includes the parish of Dubiecko where my Dańko ancestors lived. The Powiat was part of the Ruthenian Voivodeship (Województwo Ruskie) during the time of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, but the area was included in the territory seized by the Habsburg Empire during the first partition of Poland on 05 August 1772. On 11 August 1804, the Austrian Empire was proclaimed, and on 30 March 1867 the Austro-Hungarian Compromise resulted in the formation of the Empire of Austria-Hungary. After World War I, the Second Polish Republic was established which lasted until 01 September 1939 when Germany and Russia invaded. The area of Przemyśl Powiat was incorporated into the General Government for the Occupied Polish Territories. After World War II, the People’s Republic of Poland was formed and, finally, on 30 January 1990, the Republic of Poland came into existence.
The administrative structure of the Przemyśl Powiat evolved as follows:
- before 11 Sep 1772: Village, Przemyśl Powiat, Przemyśl Ziemia, Ruthenian Voivodeship, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
- 11 Sep 1772-1777: Village, Kreis Red Ruthenia, Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, Habsburg Monarchy
- 1777-1803: Village, Kreis Sambor, Przemyśl Bezirk, Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, Habsburg Monarchy
- 1804-15 Nov 1846: Village, Kreis Sanok, Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, Austrian Empire
- 16 Nov 1846-Sep 1865: Village, Kreis Sanok, Lemberg Regierungsbezirk, Austrian Empire
- Oct 1865-1867: Village, Bezirk Sanok, Lemberg Regierungsbezirk, Austrian Empire
- 1867-1918: Village, Bezirk Sanok, Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, Austria-Hungary
- 1918-1944: Village, Przemyśl Powiat, Lwów Voivodeship, Second Polish Republic
- 1939-1944: Village, Przemyśl Secondary District, Kraków District, General Government, Nazi Germany
- 1945-1998: Village, Przemyśl Powiat, Rzeszów Voivodeship, People’s Republic of Poland
- 1999-Present: Village, Przemyśl Powiat, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, Republic of Poland
The term Kreis means Circle, Powiat is often translated as County, and the term Voivodeship (Województwo) is frequently rendered as Province. I prefer the terms Kreis, Powiat, and Voivodeship. The Przemyśl Powiat includes the parish of Dubiecko where my Dańko ancestors lived.
Copyright © 2011 by Stephen J. Danko